The future home of the Rooted Carrot Co-op Market is 123 7th St. on the corner of Main Street and 7th Street!
Here are a few facts about the site.
- This project is a build to suit development and is located exactly where our market studies identified that grocery would be the most successful in the greater metro area. The market studies took into consideration location of the competition, traffic passing on Main Street, and the abundant visibility and convenience to a ready-built customer base of the downtown district.
- The plans are subject to city approval and the initial design may change. (Learn more about the design at the annual member-owner meeting!)
- It will be a two-story building, with fifteen residential apartments on the second floor and one other retail storefront on the main floor.
- The Rooted Carrot will be 7500 square feet on the main floor with entrance/exit conveniently located at the SW corner of the building, closest to the parking lot
- The storefront will face 7th St.
- There will be twenty-three parking spots behind the building devoted to Rooted Carrot customers during business hours plus street side parking spots along 7th Street, which is the street the storefront faces.
- The developer is Brent Dahlstrom and construction will begin in the spring of 2021 and Rooted Carrot doors open summer of 2022.
We’ve changed our name!
The Cedar Falls Food Co-op is now the Rooted Carrot Co-op Market.
After gathering a lot of information and ideas from members and industry professionals, we chose this name because we believe it reflects the Co-op’s values. It stresses inclusivity, local commitment, and regional community over geographic boundaries, while still maintaining continuity with our existing brand.
The Rooted Carrot Co-op Market:
- Is rooted in community – members have volunteered over 10,000 hours in this effort in the past 3 years!
- Will strengthen our community by connecting local growers and producers to consumers much more closely than is typical of most grocery stores
- Will strengthen our community by keeping more food dollars in the local economy
- Will be an attractive community asset to encourage more young people to put down roots here
A carrot still rooted in the ground is not static; rather it is changing, alive, and ready to nourish and support.
Similarly, the co-op – both in its current stage and when the physical store is established – hopes to add to, reflect, create, and nourish this community.
If you would like to be one of the first to know about where, when, what, why & how we’re doing…
Subscribe to our newsletter!
You will begin receiving our monthly e-newsletter!
Together We Will Make it Happen!
The Rooted Carrot Co-op is a start-up food cooperative grocery store being created by the community for the community with the guidance of organizations such as Food Co-op Initiative and CDS Consulting Co-op. If you want a co-op in your community, your involvement is the solid foundation. Investing as a member-owner is crucial in supporting our efforts to open our doors, so please become a member today! Investing as a member-owner is crucial in supporting our efforts to open our doors, so please become a member today!